Home > Blog > Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

by Fabio Cuffaro on Thursday, January 21, 2016

Symptoms

Common symptoms of CO poisoning are dizziness, headache, weakness, chest pain, and other “flu-like” symptoms. If you breathe in a lot of carbon monoxide you may faint and if not moved you may die from further inhalation. Those who are sleeping or drunk may die from CO poisoning before they have symptoms.

If you experience carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms you will want to leave the home or space immediately to go outside. Once you are out in fresh air breathe deeply and try to rest. If you or your loved ones are experiencing advance symptoms such as vomiting or confusions be sure to call the authorities so they can take you or your family member to the hospital so they can have proper treatment. If everything is all right stay with friends or family while you contact a technician.

Detectors

Detectors can be battery powered or have a battery back up. If you decide to invest in a Carbon Monoxide detector be sure to purchase one with a digital reader. That way you can always read what CO levels are in your home and have an alarm system if the levels become too high.

When placing your detector put it close to where you and your family spend the most time. Outside bedrooms are best because it will wake you so you can leave the house before it becomes too toxic. Be sure to replace your detector once every five years so you know your home is safe.

Further Prevention

There are other precautions you can take to make your home safe. Having a technician work with and manage your gas appliances once a year will make your house more secure. You should also make sure that when you purchase gas appliances are they all have national testing agency seal. That way you know your appliances are durable and stable. Finally be sure your home is well ventilated so the CO cannot build up. If you have a home with a chimney you will also want to have it clean after every winter so your house will not have built up soot and debris trapping carbon monoxide.

CO can be a very dangerous gas if not well ventilated or monitored. Be sure to keep your detector up-to-date and all of your gas appliances current so you do not need to worry. If you do feel symptoms coming on go outside. If you feel better quickly after leaving the home you will want to talk to a technician about coming to your home.